Most of the items on this list can be done by you, even if you don’t have much experience. If you need to know how to do a particular repair, I suggest that you look on YouTube for an instructional video. If you would like hands-on help, please contact me, and I can put you in touch with professionals who can help. Remember, maintaining your home is easier and cheaper than fixing issues that arise due to neglect.
Here is a printable version of this checklist in PDF format. Print and hang it on your fridge.
Not every item on this list will apply to your house, or there may be other items you feel you should add.
- Check to be sure your fire extinguisher is fully charged. If it will not hold a charge, replace it. Be sure that it is in a place with easy access.
- Clean out any debris from bathroom, kitchen, and laundry sinks. Do the same for all showers and tubs.
- Clean your garbage disposal. This can be done by adding ½ cup of baking soda followed by ½ cup of vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes and then flush with boiling water. Alternatively, you can freeze vinegar in an ice cube tray, then run the vinegar ice through the disposal. This freshens the sink and sharpens the blades. If you choose to use the first method, you can run regular ice cubes through your disposal to sharpen the blades.
- Change the filters once a month on your forced-air heating system. Some filters suggest you only change bi-monthly. It will still be a good idea to check your filters monthly. If you find that they are dirty, change them. If not, you can wait the 2 month period of time. Those with pets or who live in areas with high pollen or pollution may need to change filters more regularly.
- Test your garage door’s auto-reverse feature. Place a 2×4 on the ground under the door. When the door hits the wood, it should reverse and go up. If it does not, contact a technician to fix the problem.
- Check your water softener salt drum and replace salt as necessary.
- Clean the grease filter on your range hood. Use an auto degreaser mixed with hot water. Spray it on the filter and let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse it off and then replace.
- Wash the fan blades on your range hood.
- Test your water heater’s pressure relief valve.
- Flush hot water heater and remove sediment.
- Test sump pump.
- Clean out cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom. Throw away anything that is outdated including food items, medication, and cosmetic products.
- Clean the carpets.