Who’s ready for some Memorial Day weekend fun? We love spending long holidays swimming, hiking, or attending a great event. Here is a list of some simple things to do if you live in Plano, Prosper, Frisco, or the surrounding areas, plus a few bonuses in Dallas. No matter what you are looking for, you’ll find it North of Dallas!
Live Free / Swim Free – Opening Day at the Historic Texas Pool
Everyone loves swimming in a pool shaped like the State of Texas. With slides, diving boards, volleyball, and a kiddie section, The Texas Pool has something for everyone.
On Memorial Day, however, they honor soldiers past and present, by providing a day of free swimming from noon to six. In addition to swimming, you’ll find performers, contests (like the Cannonball contest), pool games, raffle, prizes, and more. Bring your own food and drinks or buy them at the snack bar, complete with grill.
For more information, go to http://www.texaspool.org
Bugfest ‘17 at the Backyard Wildlife Resource Center
Kids love bugs, which is exactly why Bugfest ‘17 will be a hit with your family. This free event on Saturday, May 27th from 10 to 6 has live exhibits, prizes, activities, vendors, and more. Located just a few miles away in Cedar Hill, the Backyard Wildlife Resource Center is a great way to spend a day with the kids.
For more information, go to https://www.facebook.com/backyardwildliferesourcecenter
Rock the Block 10K, 5K, and Fun Run at Oak Point Park
What better way to interact with you family than a run benefiting the Jim Utley Foundation? Whether you want to run a 10K, 5K, or let your kids participate in the mile fun run, this fun race is a great way to start your Memorial Day weekend. The race begins at 8:30 Saturday, May 27th, with onsite registration beginning at 7:30.
10K Admission: $40 through 5/5, $45 through 5/25, and $50 the day of the race
5K Admission: $35 through 5/5, $40 through 5/25, and $45 the day of the race
Fun Run Admission: $25 through 5/25, children 5 and under are free.
For more information, go to https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=126181
Houston vs FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium
If you aren’t into playing sports, you may be into watching. If so, head over to Toyota Stadium on Sunday, May 28th at 7 pm. Currently 2nd in the Western Conference, FC Dallas will take on 3rd ranked Houston Dynamos. Tickets start at $25.
For more information, go to https://www.fcdallas.com
VIP Tour – The Star in Frisco
Although soccer is called football in other countries, we know that football starts and ends with the Cowboys. All Memorial Day weekend, from 8am to 8pm, you can take a tour of the place where the Dallas Cowboys train. You’ll see the Grand Atrium, Ford Center, War Room, Nike Star Walk, and Super Bowl memorabilia. Tickets are $32.50 for adults and $27.50 for children.
For more information, go to http://www.thestarinfrisco.com/tours
If you want to head to the “big city,” here are a few more opportunities to consider:
- Memorial Day Concert and Fireworks: May 29th at 8:15pm. Listen to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and watch fireworks at Flag Pole Hill. Free
- The 254 Dallas Memorial Weekend Kenyan Experience: Thur through Monday. Tickets are $20 to 60.
- 6-Pack Trail Bike Cruise and Craft Beer Tour: May 27th from 11:30 am – 5:00 pm. 9.5 mile bike cruise starting at Local Urban Craft Kitchen (LUCK) and stopping at breweries for tastings along the way. Tickets are $50 in advance, $55 day of event.
- Famous Monsters Convention: Every day from 4 to 7 May 26th through May 28th at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel. Tickets from $25 to $399 VIP packages.
- Bluebonnet Tours: Saturday, May 27th from 10 to 11. Tour the George W Bush Presidential Library and Museum. Free
- Family Friendly Comedy Show: Saturday, May 27 at 6pm. Improv comedians that make up hilarious scenes for the whole family. Tickets are $10.
As you can see, no matter what you want to do, you can find it right here in our community. If you know of other Memorial Day festivities, please list them in the comments.